Guldelines For Providing Mandarin
Teachers to Selected Foreign Universities
Issued by the Ministry of Education
Taiwan ROC, April 22, 1995
1. The Ministry of Education (MOE) of the Republic of China on Taiwan will
provide one roundtrip airfare (economy class) to and from the United States for
2. The University which employs the teacher should pay the teacher's full
salary according to the university's salary scale, of which the MOE will
subsidize eight hundred US dollars (US$800.-) per month.
3. The contract period should be for one year; it may be renewed one time for
one year after negotiation between the university and the MOE. The MOE will
not pay any travel expense should the teacher return to Taiwan at the end of
the first year and then agree with the unversity to return for a second year.
Regardless of the number of trips from Taiwan to America that may be involved
in the fulfillment of the contract, the MOE will pay only one round trip
airfare from Taiwan to the U.S.
4. If the contract is renewed, the teacher will be compensated as follows:
a. Should the teacher's contract be renewed for the following year, the
MOE will subsidize the teacher at the rate of eight hundred U.S. dollars
(US$800.-) per month for the summer period. For the second contract period,
regardless of how many months are covered, the MOE will subsidize the teacher
only for the specific months covered under the contract.
b. Should the contract between the university and the teacher be for
two years, the teacher will be compensated the first year for twelve months and
the second year for the number of months remaining on the contract.
5. The MOE will subsidize the teacher three hundred US dollars (US$300.-) for
delivering Chinese teaching materials.